Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bipolar Weather

You've probably heard the phrase "If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes and it will change" before.  It seems like locals always want to boast about how quickly their weather changes.  I've done a modest amount of traveling and I know I've heard this one a few times.  But I will tell you, in my experience, this has never been more the case than during winter here in Melbourne.  One day last week, at about midday, it started to hail relentlessly.  After 15 minutes it abruptly stopped and the skies clearly to mostly sunny.  Half an hour later it was completely overcast.  During my footy game last Sunday it started to pour at halftime.  After ten minutes the sun came out and there was a rainbow and I thought, "woah, that's a full rainbow, all the way."  During the fourth quarter it started pouring again but after five minutes it abruptly stopped.  Then this afternoon I check my weather widget and I see this:

WTF???

That pretty much sums it up right there.  Not once, but three times in one week there is rain coming out of the sun.  What does that even mean?  I don't think I've ever seen that symbol before.  I mean, it's not actually possible for it to rain when it's completely sunny, right?  I think you need clouds for the rain to come out of.  All I know is it must suck to be a weatherman in Melbourne.  Or maybe its great... At this point they probably don't even bother checking the doppler and just say, "Partly cloudy/sunny with a chance of rain" every day.  I could do that.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, i used to tell my friends that after football, the next thing that people would talk about is the weather! welcome to melbourne!

    ReplyDelete